Throughout my work career in the Australian Army and now in the fitness industry a huge contribution to success in life is totally dependent upon having self-confidence. Without it, it’s almost impossible to be awesome and succeed in social circles, financial development and your work career. Having just recently watched a YouTube video of Navy Seal, David Rutherford, I thought I would basically provide a quick summary of what he says and add a few words of my own experiences as well. Please watch the video as well!
So here are the 8 steps outlined in the above video.
- Positive Attitude – Every day you wake up, you have a choice to make. Will it be a bad day or a good day? Which one do you think will enhance your life? Start your day with positive choices. Get out and do some training, go for a surf, eat a healthy breakfast, enjoy some happy time with your family.
- Personal Fitness – Everyday respect your body, your mind and your heart by devoting time to keeping healthy and training yourself. Muscular and cardiovascular stimulation each day is essential to feeling awesome! Make sure you also eat healthy vitalising energising foods that ADD to your life. Fresh fruit & vegetables, lean protein, healthy fats. Also train your brain – read books, explore nature, develop mind strength for confidence.
- Motivate Yourself/Others – Motivation is a key component of your life. Get pumped about the things you want and need to do. This is an area that I need to work on myself. Energy breeds energy. If you want it, go fucking get it!!! Get excited to learn – we learn everyday, so turn what can seem like ‘another day at the office’ into ‘a blessing that you have another healthy day on this Earth’.
- Earn Respect – Getting respect is not as easy as you may think. So many people think that because they are in a position of authority it automatically grants them respect (even parenting). WRONG! Be respectful and LEAD from the front. You don’t ‘deserve’ respect, you earn it. You do it through your actions every single day. Other humans look at your actions and listen to your words then they make decisions on their respect toward you. Be awesome to people ALWAYS!
- Set Goals – Do this every day of your life! You can’t wander aimlessly and expect to get where you want to go. Waking up on time every day develops self-confidence and create your day from there. Create a path. Make it achievable. Achieve it!
- Integrity – You have to wake up every day knowing you are living a righteous life. We all know the difference between right and wrong. You know if you are hurting others or yourself so make positive choices when taking action in your life! Living with integrity allows you accept those truths you create in your life every day.
- Mentoring – You have to find a mentor. If you have any aspirations to improve, you have to find a mentor. This is something I need to develop in my life. But I find reading articles written by high level Strength & Conditioning coaches is a good substitute until I can find someone who fits the bill. Once you develop skills in your life, regardless of whether you think you are good enough to do it, you have to mentor others. Teaching others helps you become better yourself. This is something that I have indirectly found out throughout my career. Teaching others gives you a greater appreciation for your knowledge but also makes you realise how little you do know. You do not know everything. Every day is a day to learn something new! Push yourself. Explore different ideas and knowledge out there. Once you gain this info, bestow that knowledge onto others.
- Have Fun – Life is about having fun. Laughing every day and running amok. When was the last time you had a gut splitting laugh? I must say that I’m having more fun in my life than I ever have. I’ve always had a fun life but right now, my life is awesome! I have great kids, I live in an awesome town (Yamba, NSW) and my business (The Gym Yamba) is KILLING IT! But a huge part of my happiness is due to my girlfriend April; she is the best person to ever come into my life and life is FUN everyday with her! Love yourself, love those around you and your love for life will be infectious!
Bring these 8 steps more into your life and you will find the golden eggs will fall into your lap. You know of those people who seem to just trip over success. Let that person be YOU!